Wednesday, September 21, 2016

STOP "Always Doing Something!" and SMELL the ROSES

Hello, Everyone!

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've been pretty busy.

Yes, BUSY!!!

I may currently be under-employed, but I'm still a mom of 3 and that means there's always something that needs to be done!

The other day, I went to bed exhausted and it was only 10 p.m.

I turned to my husband and said to him, "Why am I so tired when I didn't even work today?!?"

"That's 'coz you're always doing something!" was his simple but so accurate reply.

Always doing something.

I think that applies to most of us these days, don't you think?

When are we ever NOT doing anything anymore?  Why are we always so busy?!?

I thought I had gotten better at slowing down and simply enjoying life.  This past summer I've been able to relax more and do things like sit by the lake and listen to the waves or take a stroll along a nature trail.

But now with the kids back in school, I feel like there's always something that needs to be done again.  Gotta do the dishes or fold laundry or reorganize dresser drawers.  Gotta pick up the kids from school, feed them, make sure they get their homework done...  Call this person, email that one... Take care of this and that...

How did I ever manage to do all this while I had a full-time job?!?

Even my kids seem so busy all the time.

Girls on the Run. Volleyball.  Basketball.  Sleepovers.  Parties.  Play dates.  Let's not even mention HOMEWORK!!!

Can't we all... SLOOOOOOW...  down... a... little?

You know that old-school expression "Stop and smell the roses"?  There's value to that advice and we need to follow it.

We don't literally have to sniff some flowers, but we can certainly spend more time out in Nature - relaxing and appreciating the beauty around us.  When we do that, we take care of ourselves. We need to do that more.

We need to allow ourselves to rest and relax.

I know there's a sense of urgency for all our projects and to-do lists, but we also need to prioritize our health and personal well-being.  We need to do that in order to take care of all those projects and more importantly to take care of our loved ones.

We don't actually have to be out in Nature to "stop and smell the roses."  It really means to slow down and appreciate all the good things that Life is offering.  Being present in the moment.  Being aware of the little acts of kindness that people do. Being appreciative of what's around us.

But being out in Nature is, in my opinion, the best way to stop and smell the roses.  There's just that calming effect of being around the natural elements that makes us appreciate Life more.

So, fellow BUSY PEOPLE, will you please take some time this week to do something relaxing?  Sit by the lake (or ocean if you're so lucky!) and listen to the calming rhythm of the waves.  Take a stroll around the park. Or hike along a nature trail.

I have to do this, too.

You don't have to go anywhere; you can just sit on your couch quietly (but no electronic devices, of course!) and just relax.  Or cuddle with your kids and/or partner.

Wherever you are, just stop... Breathe... Smell the roses...

Life is short; let's slow down a little and enjoy it a lot more!







No comments:

Post a Comment