Monday, September 12, 2016

Banana Ketchup?!?

I decided to change my blog's name today.  I realized that the original name was a bit blah, so...

For the first time in history, I introduce to you... Drum roll, please...

Drum, drum, drum, drum...

BananaKetchupMomma!!!

(Crickets...
Oh, those are the crickets in our leopard gecko's tank.)

Why Banana Ketchup, you ask?

Well, for those not familiar with banana ketchup, it could be judged as strange, different, foreign...  But if you gave it a chance, you'll see that it's sweet and can even be spicy!

Kinda like me! :)

Actually, I chose the name, because it's unique and it's also a tie-in to my Filipino roots.



Banana ketchup (or sometimes it's called banana sauce) is a product of the Philippines.  It's a sauce very much like ketchup, but it's made from bananas and it's got a sweeter taste than the traditional tomato ketchup.

I luuuv this stuff! I try to make sure we always have a bottle of it in our fridge.

It goes well with pretty much anything fried (chicken, fish, pork chops) and also with eggs (especially sunny side up) and, of course, with rice!

My husband sometimes cooks this Filipino dish called giniling which is ground meat with potatoes and I think tomatoes as well.  And whenever he serves this dish, I gotta have banana ketchup with it.

Same thing with Spam.  Gotta have banana ketchup with it.  Of course, I can't really eat Spam anymore. Too much sodium!  But it's a Filipino thing...

So, yeah, that's what banana ketchup is.

It's starting to become more prevalent in grocery stores, in the ethnic aisles.

Maybe one day, if you haven't yet, you'll try some?




No comments:

Post a Comment