Sunday, August 7, 2016

Are you ready to die?



 
If God appeared to you today and asked if you're ready to leave your present life, what would you say?


That's the question posed to us today at mass.  And when the pastor asked the congregation if anyone was ready to die, not one person raised their hand.


Are you ready to die?


I'm not afraid to die.  I'd hate to have a painful death, but death itself doesn't scare me.  I believe in the afterlife and that it will be a better place. 


But I'm not quite ready to die yet.


My family is the biggest reason.  I want to be here for my daughters as they grow up.  I want to be able to provide guidance and support and, of course, the love that only a mother can provide.  And I would like to be able to grow old with my husband.


The other reason I am not ready to die yet is because I feel like I have not had the chance to contribute all that I can to humanity.  I want to leave this world a better place.  I feel like I have not done enough yet.


As a teacher, I tried my best to make a difference in children's lives.  I hope I did.


Now that I am no longer a teacher, I am not quite sure yet what my new calling is.  But what I am sure of is that I want to make a bigger difference.  I want to do more.


So, I understand that we should be prepared to meet our maker at any moment and to live our lives accordingly, but I am not ready to die yet.  I need to do more.


How about you?   



No comments:

Post a Comment